SNOdar measures snow depth, accumulation, and snowfall. Simultaneously, it can relay data over a serial RS-232 or SDI-12 bus to commercially available telemetry, i.e. Satcom, or data logger units. Furthermore, it can record an entire season of data on its internal, nonvolatile data logger, so there is no need to pair every sensor with a commercial data logger and therefore a large cost savings upon deployment.
The sensor is small and lightweight, yet durable enough to monitor snow depth all season long at -40 C and colder. The unit is typically powered from a 12 VDC (as low as 6V and as high as 24V) source and consumes less than 0.5 W on average. A small battery and solar panel is all that is needed for seasonal deployment. The unit can be set up to operate as a distance sensor, storm-board snow fall sensor, or a seasonal snow depth sensor that measures settlement. A powerful mobile companion App allows the user to quickly configure and deploy the unit as well as monitor real-time
data when within Bluetooth range. As a storm-board sensor, view or download the latest storm snow total, wipe the board, and re-calibrate for the next snow fall event. Alternatively, set up the sensor as a data logger, within minutes of deployment, and return periodically to download the latest data and instantly upload the data to a cloud server for viewing, management, or analysis.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) enabled configuration, installation, and live display
- Seasonal internal data logger
- Snow depth
- New snowfall
- Accurately measure snow depth during heavy snowfall
- Seasonal snowfall
- Model-based Snow Water Equivalent (SWE)
- Plug-and-Play SDI-12 data logger connection
- Plug-and-Play RS-232 Satcom connection
The wired communications, included in the power cable, allow rapid deployment with either a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) S.
- RS-232: 2-wire serial communications for Satcom connections
- SDI-12: 1-wire communications for off-the-shelf data logger
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 5.x
- 2 Mbps PHY capable, up to 100 meters Line-of-Sight (LOS)
- Long Range 125 Kbps PHY, up to 500 meters LOS
- The wireless connection allows for quick setup, calibration, and data monitoring.